Sunday, February 20, 2005

Riding the bit torrent....

It's been a rough week at work... so I decided to do something just for me tonight... I was going to attack the last thing in the Linux world that I have never tried... I was going to instal Slackware Linux (Que somesort of thematic music) however I seem to have a problem. And I whish it were only related to this one Linux Distrobution but alas it as has been on all of the distro's I've downloaded in the last 6 months.

Yes I'm getting corruptued Linux downloads!

OH THE HUMAINTY OF IT ALL

**note as if this weren't geeky enough I'm about to go off the deep end, if you are not a geek you may want to goto another blog since this is about to get real boring real quick**

About six months ago I had 3 things happen all with in about the same amount of time that I really can't pin my finger on any one event.

1. I got a 200gb SATA hard drive and add in raid board to run it off of (I have the SATA connections on my motherboard but I'm paranoid about them failing so I'm keeping my data drive off of my MOBO SATA ports)

2. I got a Dual Layer DVD-/+R/RW burner, It's SONY DV-700A I've patched the firmware to all hell.

3. I started to use bit torrent to download my LINUX ISO's

Now the part that doesn't make any sense to me is the one where one of these would be making me get bad LINUX ISO's

I have been able to download KNOPPIX from bit torrent and store it on my data drive and burn it with the DVD burner and not have a problem but why can I not burn a good copy of Fedora, Mandrake, SUSE, Slackware, Gentoo, or Free BSD? I've tried burning them at the slowest rate possible I've redownloaded them. I can't think of anything else.

I wouldn't think that they are coming off of the torrent traffic as bad since I'm sure that the bit torrent app has some sort of MD5 check summing going on.

I've burned a million CD's and DVD's on my burner for friends and backup with out a problem.

I've got all of my media stored on my 200GB drive and I haven't had a problem.

This is all just very mysterious to me it's almost like my ISP is somehow corrupting my torrents as they are coming down the wire.

Which I actually wouldn't doubt. Hmmmm.

No comments: