Tuesday, February 13, 2007

¿Are you ready for some FÚTBOL?

I'm not a huge sports fan... I like the local teams in Phoenix (GO SUNS!) you know the usual suspects Suns, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, hell even those fighting Cannucks on the West Side get my attention from time to time. They are my local teams and when they are winning (like the Suns) they are my team and when the are losing (like the Cardinals and Diamondbacks) they are still my team.

Phoenix being such a young city really doesn't have any identity in when it comes to the sports world. Chicago has the Bears and the Cubs... people love them why I don't know but people do. Greenbay has the Packers and from what I understand not much else.

Phoenix... we have the Suns that started the current run and gun offense in the NBA and the longest tenured "pro" football team in the NFL The Cardinals.

The Cardinals came to Phoenix in 1988, so 18 almost 19 years. Basically any one under the age of 20 or 21 has never known Phoenix with out a "pro" football team. Two mediocre seasons in that time. Given how transitory so many people are in Phoenix I don't see there being a generational fan base of parents bringing their kids to Cardinals games... though my parents did. And I didn't apperciate it at the time. Now I do though.

Then I saw this..... FOLLOW THE LINK

The Chargers are not my favorite team in the AFC but they are now number 2 or 3 based soley on this single.

Then again when it comes to Football I will go against the majority in the room everytime except for when it's the Cardinals (oh look their they are grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory) or the Broncos (DIE PLUMMER DIE). I now will also go for the Chargers when I catch them on TV (Insert heavy bassline)

Yah know the Chargers cheerleaders aren't hurting the cause either....

2 comments:

Curtis said...

yes, the Chargers are awesome.
I regret never making it to a Chargers game while I lived in SD, but I was living on a shoestring budget and lets face it, NFL tickets aren't the cheapest in the world. I did make it to a few Padres games.. on Armed Services day (1/2 off tickets for active duty if I remember) and one day when a friend had an extra ticket... (saved $13 on that one).

Ceconix said...

Ok, that just aint right... I don't mind you rooting for other teams, but come on. If you are going to root for a team in the AFC WEST it should be the Chiefs. Jeeze