Sunday, June 17, 2007

And they called it the "Aluminum Falcon"??

Simple pleasures in life for me really....

Weekends on call that don't have many calls...

Playing video games... seeing movies that any other time of the year wouldn't make 20 million make 57 million in a weekend.

Selling a house and finally being back to one house payment... (<--- honestly how often does that happen?)

Yes it's been a good weekend.

Of course the first thing I did when I sold the house was to buy a new laptop.... and not just any laptop a Macbook Pro...

Wait why did he buy a Macbook Pro? He is the "PC' in those commercials!

Yes I know... honestly though this thing rocks.

It has everything that my Linux boxes have but with the stupid ease of Windows!

It doesn't help that I've wanted a high end Mac Laptop since I laid my hands on the first PowerPC G3 Powerbooks almost 10 years ago.

I do have a few comments that are just apart of the learning curve but I thought I would share with the reading public that doesn't get to see me at least once a week.

1. When I bought the Mac the sales guy at the Apple store was chatting with me (you know sales guy chat) wondering why I wanted such a beast of a computer... I told him I was a gamer and IT guy next words out of the sales guy mouth "Please tell me you aren't going to install Windows"

Windows wasn't the first thing I installed (that honor went to Firefox) but it was the first project. So far I haven't booted into Windows unless I'm playing a game and since I've only got two installed it's not much that I've been in Windows.

2. What is up with these keyboard short cuts?




Honestly what is up with these keyboard short cuts? It looks like a gate address from a episode of Stargate.

With the exception of the first symbol I have found all of the corresponding keys.

Also for future refrence the up arrow is "Shift" no the up arrow key...

3. And I thought Linux programs were tounge in cheek....

OK I'm a I.T. guy... And their are certain programs that I just always use one of them is "VNC" it's small, stable, very robust, and about as close to a universal application is it comes to for systems management.

There are a few others but VNC is the only that I always load up. My first couple of searche kept turning up commercial applications that are VNC compatiable. That's nice folks but along with being a I.T. guy I'm also a tightwad (except in matters of hardware). It took a little bit of doing but I found "Chicken of the VNC"

Come on how could you not like a platform that has a application name like that?

And the name of this computer? The "Aluminum Falcon" of course! (click on the link to get the joke)

3 comments:

Ceconix said...

The video was pretty good. But why did you buy a MAC?!?!?

Traitor.

I think that's still a hanging offense in Arizona.

A.L.O said...

PC,

Welcome to the world of stability and usability, it will take some getting used to, but I'm sure you'll love it.

Mac

Evey Marievey said...

it's the 'alt' or 'option' key.