Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Maltese Falcon.

So I've been taking a break from EVE (the game not the wife of a friend of mine). What have I been doing with this break? Watching movies, doing stuff around the house (read as cleaning) and generally trying to become more human again. I know I have a highly addictive personality.. You know a personality that lives and breathes something for a period of time and then falls out of it. I think I'm through the living and breathing thing of EVE I did this exact same thing with SWG but I blame that on other things. Things that we won't discuss here.

So in my procrastinate on cleaning the house ( if you say you don't procrastinate then you are lying to yourself and everyone else. Procrastination is like masturbation... No one owes up to it but everyone does it). I was reading ye olde tyme blog I have going on here. I do that from time to time.

And some time ago I wrote about TV piracy and my proposed solution. A iTunes like service that you could download TV shows from. Low and behold someone took my idea and ran with it and has forgotten my royalty check for coming up with the iTunes TV studio... OR I took the next logical step of a business model already out there and plans were in the works long before I dreamed up my thing.

Anyway point is you can purchase and download TV shows from iTunes and several other outlets on the internets. How many have I purchased?

Zero.

Yes I'm a huge fan of Battlestar Galactica. Which quite honestly is the only show on there that really interests me. Lost probally would get me too if I would give it a chance.. But see 3 paragraphs ago about addictive personality.

So why haven't I purchased any Battlestar Galactica's (BSG) for download?

Short answer it's stupid for me to pay $1.99 for content with no added value.

Long answer BSG is a fantastic series, I want it to grow and flourish I want others to grow to love this show like I have. I want other people to have debates about the larger context of the show and how it relates to our current situation in contermpary EARTH. I want other people to talk about incredibly evil Dr. Baltar is and how you really can't but help to hate the character but see what he does next. I get all of this for the $40.00 I give the friendly folks at my cable company every month. Actually I get Multiple showings of BSG and I get my choice between HD and Regular.

But $1.99 a episode is to much to pay for just a show. No commercials, no additional content, no second track with commentary.

$1.99 is to much to pay for a piece of video that I can watch on my computer but I can't burn to a DVD and watch on my huge TV with surround sound.

$1.99 is to much to pay for DRM codecs that may or may not be around in 5 years and I'm stuck with data that may or may not be intact.

$1.99 is to much to pay if I lose my hard drive because someone is to cheap allow multiple downloads of something I purchased.

Will I buy BSG season 2 when it comes out on DVD? You betcha! Will I pay $100 for it? Hell no! Will I pay $50 for it? OH yeah. Why because it has added value above and beyond the original. There is commentary (yes I'm one of those fan boys), I can watch it on any TV that has a DVD player hooked up to it.

Once again the pissed off ramblings of a random blogger that no one will ever listen to.

I would talk about my lack of a sex life.. But that would really get pretty boring very quickly.

Until next time kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that you've quit Eve (the game, not the girl) are you going to read that book I gave you? I want to know if I'm just too immature to understand it or if the author really was insane.

~E