Sunday, September 30, 2007

Blackhole sun, won't you come?

Soundgarden was a great band, but you really have to wonder about what kinds of drugs they were on. You know between the lyrics and the Iron Butterfly esque guitar solos, I would be willing to bet it was a great live show.

As all of 3.2957838 (<-- almost to 3.3 loyal readers!) know in addition to thinking that Soundgarden was the best band to come out of Seattle in the 90's I'm a pretty big Pearl Jam fan. So when Eddie Vedder comes out with what is basically a solo album I take notice. The rub is the "solo album" is actually the soundtrack to the movie "Into the Wild". OK Eddie did a movie soundtrack so I go and read about the movie. This guy gives up all of his worldly possessions for a life as free of trappings of modern life where he eventually ends up in the Alaska wilderness living off the land. Which appeals to me because I've always had this desire in the back of my mind to drop off of the grid totally and disappear. Problem is the only person who would notice would be Kristina since there would be leftovers and beer for Curtis all of a sudden.

And how did I know all of this about a movie that I hadn't heard of up until two weeks ago? Why Cody of course! So Cody and I go see "Into the Wild" at what I call a "Art Theater" because it's the first theater I've been to in Phoenix that has less then 20 screens (it only had four?!). Of course when you goto the movies they have the commercials before the movie now instead of just the trailers... don't get me started on commercials before movies that is another rant in of itself. The last set of commercials are for Team Fortress 2!!! It's a fucking brilliant commercial (click the link to see them all, the one that was in the theater was the "Meet the Heavy") I thought it was a brilliant commercial.

So the movie finishes which was also excellent you need to go see it! And I'm looking at all of the people in the theater... Cody and I are the youngest ones in their. Wow they must have been really annoyed by the Team Fortress commercial. It's a great commercial from a gamers perspective but if your not a gamer (Cody) then I can understand your annoyance.

So as a somewhat direct result of that commercial I purchased the Orange Box and have been playing Team Fortress 2 on and off all weekend. Holy cow that game is fun!!

So looking back at the title of the post it is rather true, because Team Fortress is a "Black Hole Sun".

And oh yeah to top off a great weekend the Cardinals offed the Steelers!

3 comments:

Ceconix said...

Soundgarden was AMAZING in concert. You should have seen them do "Black Hole Sun" live. They had a red spotlight on Chris Cornell, but didn't need it because the friggin SUN was doing the same thing! Outstanding.

Oh, and GO CHIEFS!

Anonymous said...

I told you about this story last year, after Mike and I did that wilderness weekend. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.
We would all realize you were gone, after your blog stopped getting updated weekly

Evey Marievey said...

I'd just like to say that, since I didn't see the Steelers/Cards game, it never happened.
Also, you could borrow our copy of the book "Into the Wild" if little brother would ever return the books we lent him.