Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Up in smoke?

I don't often take a activist type stand on the old blog but I thought that this particular story merited some additional time and analysis above and beyond the usual mass of not caring that I usually imbue on to a article in the East Valley Tribune.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/109768


The cruxt of the article is this. In 2006 the voters of the state of Arizona passed a law that made it illegal for people to smoke in public places you know bars, restaurants, theaters, museums, libraries, and doctors offices. You know all the places it was already illegal to smoke, but now it was just actually put down into law.

The original intent of the law was good and I will admit I've enjoyed going out much more now that there isn't a cloud of tobacco smoke hanging over every nook and cranny of every place that I go to. However we as a society need to question the actions the of the Arizona Department of Health in going after these particular establishments. They don't serve food and only have a liquors lisc so that they can provide a full variety of drinks to the customers. I think it would be safe to say that Mr. and Mrs. along w/ Peanut will not be going to one of these establishments.

So why then is the Arizona Department of Health on what amounts to a crusade against these places? That I cannot answer since I'm not a investigative blogger I'm just a guy who's been to Stogie Cutters down the street a few and have grown to know Rich and Jen (the owners). Do I smoke cigars? Not a regular basis, I've given it a couple of shots, but the results are never positive. I do however like the clientele that shows up there and sometimes you just have to watch the Suns play with other people who care.

I've never been one who agrees with the state taxing "sin" items (alcohol/tobacco) but I put up with it since it's about the only way that any taxes get paid in Arizona it seems. Hey I live in a urban area I want my police department to armed to the teeth and well trained. As it stands today the Mesa Police Department is well trained and doing a stand up job, but if things keep going like they have been that won't be the case for long.

So basically what I'm saying is we all need to call the Arizona Department of Health Services on this and tell them to knock it off. They may be trying to help, but at this point they are doing more harm then good.

2 comments:

Evey Marievey said...

I'm acquiring the skill of straight-faced Shirley Temple ordering.

"I'll take a Shirley Temple...On the rocks. And keep 'em comin'."

Anonymous said...

You do know we voted on this right?
MOM