Monday, April 11, 2005

The Empire isn't all that bad... No really it's not!

As I've written here many times I play a game called "Star Wars Galaxies: A Empire Divided". In case you can't tell by the name the game is based on "Star Wars" and in this game I play a Wookiee... A Imperial Wookiee. Ok I can see my non geek readers already wondering why this is significant.

I'm going to break it down for you real quick. Wookiee's are a slave race of the Empire. So in most all of the fan fiction and sanctioned fiction Wookiee's always work for the "Rebels".

Already I'm playing against type... but that is not the point of this post (as if there ever is).

Ok now get over that... And lets get to the point of the post. In the "Star Wars" movie's the "Good guys" are the "Rebels" and until very recently I just took this as fact. Then about 3 years ago (read as I saw "Attack of the Clones") I got to thinking... You know I bet that life for the average citizen of the republic/Empire didn't change that much. So why would I cheer for a terroist organization?

I've probally just ruined "Star Wars" for several people.

You will get over it... I did.

Of course when Lucas wrote the original movies he may have using the "Rebels" as a allegory (God John Kitts would be so proud of me right now) for the counter culture folks in California. The "Empire" as the existing government of California who was "oppressing" the "Rebels" in the late 60's and early 70's.

I don't know "Revenge of the Sith" comes out in 5 weeks and I'm ready. I want to see Anakin go medieval on Obi'wan. Mostly though I just to see Yoda do his impression of a super bouncy ball again.

Ahh Everyone's favorite Zabrack

No comments: