Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reqium for a morning show....

I never had a morning show until I moved to Phoenix.

We got Vegas radio in Kingman, but I was never up early enough to listen to it and when I was my total drive time was all of 5 minutes (10 if I was going to the other side of town)

I never got up before noon when I lived in Flag.

When I first got down here Scott recommended the morning sickness to me... and I didn't care for it fart jokes and all. I instead drifted to Chuck Powell's Morning Ritual. It was smart, funny, and they played music (which at the time for me was a big deal). That was 2005.

So in the 2.5 years since I moved to Phoenix, a few things have changed like for instance The Morning Ritual. It is so canned and pre-formed now it makes me sick... 7 to 7:30 is the topic of the day call in (todays was worst daytime soap opera story line ever) after that I stop listening because it takes me 20 minutes to get into work. When I listen in work it's the same kind of drivel interviews and other things, but nothing substatinal and it all fits very nicely into the space of a 3 minute chunk of time.

I think the start of the long down hill slide was last year when Vince left... Yeah I'm pretty sure that was it. They started cutting corners here and there (the call in thing) news from the edge at the bottom of every hour (used to be twice once at 6:40 and 9:20). I think the thing that finally killed the Morning Ritual for me was last friday...I was listening to the Morning Sickness during their "Easter Keg" hunt and that is when I realized I was listening to the wrong show.

Well maybe that and Guadalupe Squares as well....

Yesterday I decided to give the Morning Ritual one more chance... and Chuck kept saying "Chuck, Colin, and Sam with you" oh no problem... Cori and Drew are just out sick they will be back tomorrow. I tune in again this morning, same thing weird, normally Chuck says something about people being sick. Don't ask me why but I decided to swing by the morning ritual myspace page and no mention of Cori or Thrillride... I bounce over to Cori James's personal myspace page and sure enough she was let go due to "budget cuts". A little more digging around the intertubes reveals that Drew is gone too.

/sigh the least they could have done is announced it maybe they did and I just missed it. Sadly the morning ritual is no more for me.

I've never given up on a morning show before.

At least it didn't become a Mariachi station on me.

1 comment:

Ceconix said...

When you are at work, try 989therock.com and listen live. That's the morning show that I listened to in KC. It's a lot of "Shock Jock" stuff, but they also are the biggest fund raisers in KC. They do Bikers for Babies that benefits the March of Dimes, and Toys for Tots. Give it a listen online if you can, but it's over by 8am our time. :(