Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Song Remains the Same...

It's not often I get a text message that says "fuck you, I'm going home" it's even less often when I get that very same text message from my own phone. Needless to say my liver is not real happy with me and hasn't come out from under the bed for a couple of days now.

The reason?

Oh that's easy, I spent the weekend in Californa for Kinsey's wedding. Which I have to say as weddings go is one of the better ones I have been to. The personal highlight for me was the "Super C" theme as done by the "Minibosses" which if you haven't checked out well you will know very quickly if you will like them or not. As always the groom looked his damn goofy self and the bride looked stunning... Congrats guys.

And is true for all people in their late twenties when someone gets married it's a reason to spend money and abuse your liver... Which is why mine is snoozing rather soundly under the bed. Along with the drinking there was much discussion on everything under the sun, but the discussion that sticks with me the most is the one about music.

Basically it went something like this....
Nick... I usually give the iTunes store $12 a week, but I haven't been lately since nothing good has come out.
Tom/Scott/Cody.... it's not you nothing good has come out recently.
Curtis was there but he was more interested in the either the magazine or the basketball game it's hard telling with him.

That one conversation sent me down a deep dark path of thinking of what have I bought recently that is good?

The last album I bought was Bauhaus, which is a 80's new wave band that has put out their last album ever. It's ok I don't like it as much as I thought I would. This was all in the last two weeks.

Before Bauhaus, the last album I bought was the remastered Led Zeppelin Collection "Mothership" which I have been listening to alot since I bought it in November.

And as I look at the iTunes emails from the last year or so with very few exceptions I have mainly been buying "Bests Of" Talking Heads, Social Distortion, Led Zeppelin. Along with some older stuff... Pink Floyd and a couple of missing pieces parts in my Soundgarden/Pearl Jam collection.

The new music I've picked up has been real hit and miss....

The Raconteurs... not as good as I expected, but not bad
Silversun Pickups.... Crap
Chris Cornell's new album..... mostly crap
Chemical Brothers.... weak compared to their older stuff
Smashing Pumpkins.... weak and completely forgettable (in the interest of full disclosure I find 98% of Pumpkins stuff to be crap)

Mind you I had to look through my old email receipts from iTunes to tell you what I bought. So on the whole pretty forgettable.

The only band I have nothing bad to say about is "The Yeah Yeah Yeahs" and that is pretty much it.

Of course looking at the new music on iTunes I saw that "Fall Out Boy" has covered "Beat it"

I really hope that works out as well for them as it did for that band that covered that other Michael Jackson song a few years ago.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go try and coax my liver from out under my bed.

No comments: