Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sweet Revelations... Sweet Surrender....

When was the last time you went through your personal documents folder? You know if your a windows user it's your "My Documents" Mac/Linux/*nix it's "/home/%username%" I mean really went through it?

For me it's been about 7 years. I have basically had one continously running "My Documents" since I was running Windows 2000 back in NAU. It's been a while to say the least. So something that has been on list of things to do for freaking ever is to go through that folder and clean it up a bit. It's amazing the shit I have in there.

Every paper I ever wrote at NAU and most of the papers I wrote at MCC. 1.75 gigs of pictures (I'm not sure how many of those are game screen shots, but I'm sure a fair number) I stopped printing at home 3 or 4 years ago and have been using PDF printers to print off reciepts and store them in my personal folder. It's amazing the amount of useless shit I have. files I will never look at again are all piled in there just like my desk at work.

/sigh...

The sad part is your sitting there reading this and thinking to yourself "Damn when was the last time I went through my personal folders" The even sadder part is your still reading.

I guess it doesn't help that I have only rebuilt my current PC once (the current install is only it's second go round with Windows XP) The computer before this? In three years I probably did reinstalls 3 times. So figure once a year for the last 5 years and before that I really don't remember. I do remember that I spent alot of time tweaking stuff and was militant about backups.

I find it funny that my longest install of Linux is 6 months I'm always eager to blow away a Linux box to try and learn more about it. So far my longest install of Windows is 18 months at home (the current install I'm working with) and 36 months at work (Windows 2000 Advanced Server for the surgery app that I supported). To my knowledge it's still running in Kingman.

So much cruft so little time... of course it's kind of interesting what you find hidden in all of this stuff.

4 comments:

A.L.O said...

Some one is running ads, and I'm clicking!

Tom said...

Thank you

Evey Marievey said...

I go through mine every few months. Does that make me weird?

Ceconix said...

So, I can't embed this photo, but here is a link..

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/ceconix/clint/MyDocs.jpg