Sunday, March 20, 2005

It's easy when you don't know better

A while back I copied my music to give to a friend so that they would have something put on their shiny new 40gb iPod. Two nights ago I get this rather long rambling message on my answering machine about what great a broad taste in music I have and how much she is learning about me as a person. It was a nice warm and fuzzy feeling I got with that whole broad taste in music thing. I don't like a lot of stuff but what I do like seems to be pretty broad. I also tend to think that some types of music just get better with age.

Pink Floyd is a good example of this.

Music that still sucks even after proper aging is anything you don't like. Music is art and it's all up to the end person as to determine whether they like a particular piece of music.

I think it's interesting how people get fixated on a particular part of a artists career and don't consider anything before or after a moment. I like to trot out Pearl Jam as a good example of this. Clint and Brandi are good friends and loyal readers (so I know they will see this sooner or later). The only Pearl Jam they have heard other then what is occasionally on the radio is the "Ten" album from 1991. Don't get me wrong Ten is good and it holds up rather well 10+ years on. However There are 7 albums worth of material that have come out since then. I'm sure they have listened to "VS" (I think that CD was standard issue for everyone in High School in 1994) I'm fairly sure they haven't heard "Binaural" or "Riot Act" both of which are excellent CD's and have come out in the last 5 years and both had maybe one or two singles released just to keep the record company happy.

Anyway my point is to me Pearl Jam is a current group. When someone says Pearl Jam then I think the songs "Save You" or "Bush Leaguer". When Brandi or Clint hear Pearl Jam they may think "Daughter" or "Release". It's all a matter of perspective.

I've been writing about Pearl Jam for the last 10 minutes and the music that has come up has been "Radiohead" and "Smashing Pumpkins"

I guess I like there to be some sort of depth to my music. I cannot wait for a new TOOL CD that will keep me busy for several months.

Which brings up another point... I've been buying most all of music from iTunes for the last year now. The last CD I bought was A Perfect Circle "The Thirteenth Step". That has been well over a year now. I have about 15 CD's worth of music on my computer that nothing more then files on my computer. I guess music has finally been boiled down to it's most basic componets. Sound and a non physical medium with which to carry that sound.

I need a hobby I've got way to much time to think about stuff.

No comments: