Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Death of a mentor...

In the spiritual not the physically sense of the word...

NO I'm not talking about God either.

Though if you listen to nine inch nails you may have your own thoughts as to whether or not God is dead. But I digress.

I had the task today of cleaning out Adams office at work today. It sucked rather badly for me... Not because there was a lot of stuff to go through or I just didn't want to do it. More it felt like I was taking down the last reminds of the dept that was.

When I came to the hospital 3 and a half years ago now... Adam and Shawn were the ones who took me under their wings and tried to make me feel welcome. Granted they had known me previously but still it was the effort that counted and I was always thankful for that. I think had they not been there I wouldn't have lasted a year at KRMC. Being fresh out of school I knew enough to be dangerous but not enough to be helpfull. Adam workd to rectify that over the course of several months teaching me things not only techinally but socially and politically that I value beyond accord today.

I thought of Adam as not only a coworker but also a friend.

When Adam left KRMC for a new job I took it particularly hard. In retrospect I probally should have seen it coming. I always figured I would leave before Adam would. I didn't think he would leave first. Since Adam left in September I've talked to him a few times. But something changed and I couldn't figure it out until today.

So while cleaning out a office filled with sales materials and half used legal pads full of notes I today realized that I should be thankful for the time I had and make the most out of my experiences from the past in the future.

Adam if you ever happen to read this... Next time I will show you how a real operating system works :)

No comments: