Sunday, January 09, 2005

Firefox I love thee... Let me count the ways...

Since I've moved from Geocities to blogger I've been trying to figure out why the hell my XML feed wasn't working. Well turns out I didn't have the right address marked... DOH! and I'm supposed to be a computer guy... So once I figured out how to get the RSS/XML stuff going I've been all impressed I have my own little RSS feed for this here blog. If you use firefox... and I know you do because IT IS A SUPERIOR BROWSER! Then there should be this orange looking thing in the bottom right corner of your screen. You can "live bookmark" me there.

The real reason why I love firefox though is because firefox is truly the first cross platform application that is pretty much "mass market". I've used a lot of Operating systems I'm very good with Windows (doesn't take a monkey to do that well), versed in Linux (I can actually have a workable Linux in about 30 minutes depending on how much configuring the desktop takes), Mac OS (I've used it enough to know my way around and make it work like I want it I'm by no means a expert). Firefox works the same on all of them. I think the two killer things for me about firefox is the tabbed browsing and the previously mentioned live bookmarks.

Back in 1996 I was the rebel... I used Internet Explorer all of my friends used Netscape 3.x, now adays I'm still the rebel (Linux, firefox, and where I can sneak it in Thunderbird). My entire family is still stuck on internet explorer. I did finally get my parents to Thunderbird. Though I tend to think that is more of a pyric victory then anything else.

I remember the first time I say a actual reference to the internet in a television show. It was the x-files in 1995.. Scully was using a laptop and did a search on something and she used a Unix like command to execute the search on the internet. I remember thinking it was very cool... it was only later that I would figure out in the days before mosaic (the first internet browser) that all you had to navigate the internet was a command line for a Unix machine. BASH!

No comments: